AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Employment Law
- Class Action Consumer and Insurance Fraud
- Wage & Hour Class Actions
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Termination
- Human Rights & Trafficking
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
Alreen Haeggquist is the co-founder and managing partner of Zeldes Haeggquist & Eck, LLP, where she is dedicated to representing employees who have been wrongfully terminated from their jobs, suffered violations of employment contracts or otherwise experienced discrimination or harassment in the workplace.
Ms. Haeggquist’s practice focuses primarily on employment discrimination, class action litigation, and human rights. She has successfully represented employees in cases involving wrongful termination, wage disputes, contract violations, sexual harassment, and all types of discrimination. She also has extensive experience litigating complex consumer class actions with an emphasis on actions brought by consumers against large national corporations for deceptive sales practices, mortgage lending and banking fraud, product defect claims, wage/hour, human rights, civil rights and antitrust violations.
Ms. Haeggquist is currently serving as a representative for employees whose rights have been violated in the workplace, as well as class counsel in a nationwide consumer fraud class action against Trump University. She is interim co-lead counsel in nationwide class action against Sony Electronics, Inc., alleging that fundamental flaws in the design and/or manufacturing process in the VAIO Touchpad Notebooks render it almost impossible to use because the touchpad is prone to cause the onscreen cursor to track in reverse, freeze and/or engage in erratic behavior (i.e. the pointer will randomly open and close windows and programs) Nation v. Sony Electronics, Inc.,Case No. 09-CV-2603 BEN (BBB) (S.D. Cal.). Ms. Haeggquist is also interim co-lead counsel in a nationwide class action of millions of purchasers of an alleged defective power adapter in a consumer product defect class action against Apple Inc. In re MagSafe Apple Power Adapter Litigation, Case No C 09-01911 JW.
Prior to starting Zeldes Haeggquist & Eck, LLP, Ms. Haeggquist worked for many years at the nation’s largest plaintiff’s class action firm, Lerach Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins, LLP (“Lerach Coughlin”) (formerly known as Milberg Weiss) in its consumer, insurance and antitrust class action practice group. At Lerach Coughlin, Ms. Haeggquist was involved in several multi-district antitrust class actions pending in federal courts around the country, including In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merch. Disc. Antitrust Litig. (E.D.N.Y.), In re Carbon Black Antitrust Litig. (D. Mass.) and Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers, Inc. v. Newport Adhesives & Composites, Inc. (Carbon Fiber Antitrust Litigation), Case No. CV-99-7796 (C.D. Cal.), which resulted in a $675 million settlement for a class of purchasers that purchased allegedly price-fixed carbon fiber. She was also instrumental in the successful prosecution and settlement of numerous other antitrust and unfair competition cases, including the Rubber Chemicals indirect purchaser cases, which resulted in significant cy pres funds to non-profit groups advocating for competition; the Bank Privacy Cases (S.F. Sup. Ct.), which resulted in better bank privacy policies, funding to non-profit groups advocating for privacy rights, and benefits to credit cardholders.
Ms. Haeggquist has published numerous articles for the annual publication of California Litigation Review regarding recent developments in class action law and discovery.
Ms. Haeggquist is admitted to practice in California and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California. She currently serves on the Board of the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, and is a member of the Consumer Attorneys of California, California Employment Lawyers Association, the San Diego County Bar Association, and the Litigation Section of the State Bar of California.
Ms. Haeggquist is a founding board member of the Girls Think Tank, a grass roots 501c3 non-profit organization that fosters a culture of empowerment amongst women, while providing a catalyst for social change on issues that confront us daily. Regardless of whether the issue is homelessness, prostitution of young women, gang violence, or carbon emissions, the Girls Think Tank put their heads and hearts together to provide solutions that both serve to put their minds at ease and provide a public service for the community.
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- Juris Doctor (Magna Cum Laude) – 2002
- Honors: Class Standing 3/198
- Honors: Investigator, California Innocence Project
- Honors: Honors Instructor and Academic Tutor, International L.L.M. Students
- Honors: Dean’s List All Semesters
- Honors: Scholarships for Academic Achievement
- Law Review: California Western Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- Law Journal: California Western International Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- University of California, San Diego, California
- B.A. – June, 1999
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Law and Society
- Minor: Latin American History
- Troyk v. Farmers Group, Inc., 171 Cal. App. 4th 1305 (2009)
- McKell v. Washington Mutual, 142 Cal. App. 4th 1457 (2006)
- Dehoyos v. Allstate Corp., 345 F.3d 290 (5th Cir. 2003)
- Lorix v. Crompton Corp., 736 N.W.2d 619 (Minn. 2007)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Litigation Section, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, Member
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Lerach Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins, LLP, San Diego, CA (formerly Milberg Weiss Bershad Hynes & Lerach), Attorney, 2002 – 2007
- Lerach Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins, LLP, San Diego, CA (formerly Milberg Weiss Bershad Hynes & Lerach), Legal Intern/Law Clerk, 2002
- Appellate Defenders, Inc., San Diego, CA, Law Clerk, 2001
- Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc., San Diego, CA, Legal Intern, 2001
- Office of the United States Attorney, San Diego, CA, Law Clerk, 2000
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Advisory Board, Girls Think Tank